This course prepares students to write a critical review of the literature that identifies and justifies a major research problem and question. Within the course, students will review conceptual and theoretical dimensions of the literature related to their chosen research topic for their dissertation. It will guide the development of a theoretical framework worthy of researching. Students will develop skills in constructing coherent and cogent arguments based on literature relevant to their proposed research.
- Trimester 2 - 2019
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Access, analyse and evaluate literature and research relevant to their area of interest
2. Interpret the role of a literature review within a dissertation
3. Construct a coherent argument for their research based on the literature
4. Write in an appropriate academic style
5. Present a well-researched and cogent literature review that justifies and directs their research topic
The topics in this course include the following:
- Functions of a Literature Review
- Gap spotting, reinterpretations, replications and worthy issues
- Developing Theoretical Analyses
- Structuring literature
- Dissecting and Integrating sub-topics
- Argumentation and Critique
- Concluding a literature review
GSBR6101 Foundations of Business Research
Written Assignment: Short written critiques posted online and peer reviews.
Essay: Argumentative essay on a sub topic within the literature
Literature Review: Literature review
Online 20 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students are expected to take an average of 20 hours per week in preparing for and participating in the course.