Germany is one of the leading business locations in Europe with a superb infrastructure and lifestyle. In this course, you will learn about the German working environment and culture, while at the same time furthering your language and intercultural communication skills at an advanced level. The course emphasises the type of language needed in professional and work-related settings. This course can be done following or at the same time as GRMN3503.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2020.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand advanced-level oral and written texts in the context of German workplaces.
2. Produce oral and written texts in German for professional purposes.
3. Identify cultural conventions in German workplaces.
4. Critically reflect on their learning process.
Areas that will be treated in GRMN3501 include:
• Telephone calls, making and changing appointments, leaving messages, writing simple business letters.
• Writing a job application and handling a job interview.
• Marketing and advertising of products and services.
• German business and social etiquette and manners.
• Translating and discussing contemporary texts from a variety of areas.
Written Assignment: Written and Oral Assignments (40%)
Quiz: Online Quizzes x 3 (15%)
Formal Examination: Formal Examination - Closed book examination (45%) *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.