Designed to introduce students to the scope and practice of professional engineering and the role it plays in today's society. Emphasis is placed on developing a range of technical skills and innovative thinking to find solutions to social needs within a sustainable framework. Teamwork and project management skills are also developed, and applied in a group design project.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 3 - 2016 (Singapore).
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Explain and appropriately apply the general engineering method of problem solving.
2. Explain and apply the concept of "the triple bottom line" (economic, social and environmental factors) to evaluate potential engineering solutions.
3. Apply the engineering code of ethics in the context of engineering practice;
4. Apply basic project management concepts and tools to a design project;
5. Work effectively as part of a team;
6. Communicate effectively in both written and oral form, including using the appropriate academic conventions of the discipline.
The course includes introductions to the following topics:
- The role of engineers in society
- The engineering method: systems thinking and decision making
- Project management
- Group work skills, such as effective meetings and dispute resolution
- Report writing, including referencing and SI unit conventions
- Process economics
- Sustainability principles and life cycle analysis
- Professional responsibility and ethics
- Presentation skills.
The group based project includes:
- Teamwork and organisational skills
- Project management
- Decision making
- Process selection and design
- Environmental impact, economic analysis and social considerations.
Students may also be exposed to a limited amount of "discipline-specific" material so that they are able to better appreciate their chosen profession and complete their design project.
Quiz: Multiple online quizzes
Project: Group Tasks
Project: Design Project Interim and Final Reports
Presentation: Group Presentation
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Participation: Final Play Off Participation