This three-week intensive course allows students to gain valuable experience of using the French language in an authentic in-country environment. Students will extend their oral communication and listening skills in a real-world scenario following an intensive course at Creipac (Centre de Rencontres et dEchanges Internationaux du Pacifique) in Noumea. Students will also develop an understanding of the culture of New Caledonia through cultural visits, which may include meetings with local artists, political representatives and excursions into Kanak communities. This course is not for beginners. It is recommended for students who have completed two elementary courses in French (FREN1100 and FREN1200) or have an equivalent standard of French.
The assessment items will be shared between the staff at Creipac and the French Studies team at UON: the two tests will be managed in Noumea (at and by Creipac); the reflective journal will be submitted upon the students' return to Newcastle and will be marked by UON staff.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Summer 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Use the French language in oral interactions in familiar everyday situations.
2. Investigate key features of the cultural situation in New Caledonia.
3. Describe the intellectual process and learning strategies involved in second language acquisition.
4. Show intercultural competency through living in another cultural and linguistic environment.
This course will include the following topics:
- 12-15 hours per week of language instruction and French immersion
- Cultural visits
Successful completion of FREN1100 and FREN1200 or an equivalent standard of French.
Professional Task: Individual Oral Test 25% (administered in Noumea by Creipac)
Professional Task: Individual Listening Test 25% (administered in Noumea by Creipac)
Journal: Individual Reflective Journal 50% *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Journal: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
Face to Face Off Campus 39 hour(s) per Term Full Term