EPMATH127 Applied Mathematics is a calculator based mathematics course for those who have demonstrated competence in the basic skills of numeracy, arithmetic, fractions, decimals, percentages, algebra, equation solving and units of measurement. The course further develops the skills in mathematics and their application to the real world. The content includes trigonometry, financial mathematics, proportionality, linear functions, graphing, logarithms, probability and an introduction to statistics.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2021
- Semester 2 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. use mathematical concepts, skills and techniques accurately
2. apply sound reasoning and to use a variety of strategies to solve mathematical problems, analyse statistics and solve problems using the basic principles of probability
3. understand the application of basic mathematical and statistical concepts and the principles of probability in the real world
4. understand basic skills of mathematics, statistics and probability and their application, relevant to undergraduate study requiring these abilities
This course covers:
- Ratio and Scale Measurement.
- Linear Functions.
- Logarithms - application to solution of exponential equations (including compound interest).
- Basic probability - Venn Diagrams, tree diagrams, ordered and unordered arrangements.
- Statistics: Measures of central tendency and dispersion.
- Correlation and linear regression.
- Normal distribution; Z-Scores.
You can only enrol in this course if you active in the Newstep Program. You cannot enrol in this course if you have successfully completed or are enrolled in EPMATH125.
Quiz: Weekly Quizzes
In Term Test: Midsemester
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.