Introduces students to philosophy through the study of two central areas of philosophical interest: epistemology and critical reasoning. A basic level of knowledge of core philosophical concepts and skills is provided along with development of a wider set of necessary skills for university study, including academic reading, writing and research skills. Exploration of individual beliefs and mutual respect for the diversity of viewpoints across individuals and cultures is encouraged through discussion.
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. Demonstrate a basic familiarity with the fundamental issues, concepts and arguments in epistemology and critical reasoning
2. Demonstrate an awareness of the difference between mere opinion and reasoned belief and a recognition of, and respect for, competing points of view;
3. Demonstrate a basic capacity to construct and critically evaluate arguments
4. Demonstrate a basic competence in the reading of academic texts and a capacity to integrate reading of texts with material presented in lectures;
5. Demonstrate a basic competence in critical thinking and essay writing skills, including the use of argument, organisation of ideas and the use and acknowledgement of primary and secondary literature sources
6. Demonstrate a basic competence in research skills, including the use of libraries
The course covers:Epistemology:
- Introduction to theory of knowledge;
- Perceptual belief and knowledge;
- Some problems of knowledge, including scepticism.
- The nature and uses of argument;
- Validity and truth;
- Propositional arguments and their validity;
- The traditional syllogism and its validity.
This course is only available to students who are active in the Open Foundation Program or the Yapug Program.
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Tutorial Exercise
Essay: Epistemology Essay
Written Assignment: Critical Reasoning Assignment
In Term Test: Class Examination
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 11 Weeks