This course provides an introduction to the fundamentals of design as a thoughtful process. It examines the tools and concepts that underlay the design process. Students are introduced to graphic skills, required within the design professions, building a knowledge of materials and equipment and an understanding of graphic modes. Emphasis is placed on the development of an awareness of the design process as well as skills in creative layout and presentation of design work. Topics covered in this course, through project development, contribute to the recognition of the value of diversity in design & visual communication solutions.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Acquire basic skills in layout and typography.
2. Gain basic knowledge of digital design production skills.
3. Understand and relate the use of symbolism to a design brief.
4. Understand and demonstrate the application of design elements and principles to specific tasks.
5. Understand and demonstrate methods of presenting of artwork.
6. Gain skills in analysis of design.
Topics may include:
- elements and principles of design.
- answering a design brief.
- design analysis.
- concept development.
- layout design.
- basic scanning
- introduction to design technology.
Project: Elements and Principles of Design
Project: Advertising Design
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 6 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks