Overviews sources of and control strategies for air, water and soil pollution; waste management and waste minimisation; drainage and flood control; pests and pest control, and sanitation. Relevant legislation is referred to in context.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Trimester 1 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Trimester 2 - 2018 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify sources of air, water and land pollution associated with major industries, understand the impacts to the environment and devise strategies to control and prevent pollution.
2. Identify relevant legislation for environmental control and advise on strategies for compliance;
3. Understand and manage environmental risks of chemicals and hazardous substances;
4. Assess and manage environmental noise problems;
5. Assess environmental health issues such as vector-borne disease and food-borne disease and devise appropriate vector control and food hygiene measures.
6. Systematically address waste production and strategies to minimise and manage the waste stream.
- Outline of relevant environmental and public health legislation in Singapore;
- Air pollution - prevention and control;
- Water pollution - prevention and control;
- Soil pollution - prevention and control;
- Environmental noise pollution - prevention and control;
- Outline of the biology of major pests - mosquitoes, houseflies, rats;
- Pest control;
- Infectious organisms and sanitation measures;
- Food hygiene
- Waste minimisation and management;
- Management of stormwater and drainage systems.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Environmental & Occupational Health & Safety program.
In Term Test: Class Test - Progress Test
Written Assignment: Written Assignment
Formal Examination: Examination: Formal
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 40 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Contact hours are not regular or on a weekly basis, since delivery will take place on some week-ends and evenings, ie, there will be some intensive block teaching. Total face to face contact will be 40 hours.