Introduces to the student the basic components of biological systems and provides a background knowledge of human physiology and anatomy in relation to environmental and occupational health. Topics include animal cell structure, micro-organisms and basic biochemistry, major body systems, defense mechanisms and reproduction.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Trimester 2 - 2018 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe the ultra-structure of cells and outline the functions of major organelles;
2. Describe, using examples, the organisation of cells into tissues, organs and organisms;
3. Explain with examples homeostasis;
4. Outline the processes of cell respiration;
5. Describe the structures and functions of major systems in the human body concerned with intake of materials and information; transport and distribution of materials; nervous and hormonal communication; movement; breakdown and metabolism of materials; excretion, body defence and reproduction.
The course covers the fundamentals of the anatomy, physiology and biochemistry of the human body as they relate to environmental and occupational health. Major topics are:
- Cell structure and function and cellular organisation into tissues, organs and organisms
- Viruses, bacteria and fungi
- Cellular respiration
- Human respiratory system and breathing
- Blood, lymph, the cardiovascular system and transport in the body
- Endocrine and nervous systems and communication
- Skeleto-muscular systems and movement
- Digestion and metabolism
- Immunity and body defence
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Environmental & Occupational Health & Safety program.
Presentation: Group Presentation
In Term Test: Class Test - Progress Test
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 40 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Contact hours are not regular or on a weekly basis, since delivery will take place on some week-ends and evenings, ie, there will be some intensive block teaching. Total face to face contact will be 40 hours.