This course introduces students to Australian cultural studies through consideration of constructions of Australian identities in a broad range of popular cultural forms such as literature, film and television.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2019.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify different representations of Australian cultural identity in popular literature, film and television.
2. Recognise the different discourses of nationhood and citizenship attached to these representations.
3. Provide in-depth analysis and critique of selected course texts.
4. Develop core skills in written and oral communication.
Topics can include:
- Key concepts and methods in cultural studies
- Skills in reading different media critically
- Humour, satire, and parody
- Australian reality television
- Representations of Indigeneity
- Representations of multiculturalism
- Representations of whiteness
- Representations of femininity
- Representations of masculinity
- Representations of queerness
- Discourses of nationhood and citizenship
Written Assignment: Review or Report (30%)
Essay: Essay (40%)
Presentation: Oral Presentation (30%)