Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are contributing to climate change and environmental impacts worldwide. This course provides students with an understanding of the carbon audit process and the skills required to undertake such an audit, with an appreciation of Australia's requirements in carbon auditing. Students will gain an understanding of how to create and implement carbon management strategies and lower an organisation's carbon footprint.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify the effects of carbon emissions on the environment and the challenges faced.
2. Understand the principles of GHG accounting and reporting.
3. Understand relevant environmental laws and regulations and their application in GHG accounting
4. Determine the scopes of GHG emissions and the main uncertainties and calculation techniques applicable to each of the scopes.
5. Prepare and interpret a GHG inventory for an organisation.
6. Complete a carbon life cycle analysis for a product or service.
7. Develop a comprehensive energy/emissions management plan.
8. Develop a thorough understanding of the GHG Protocol Corporate Standard and Corporate Value Chain Standard.
- Climate change and the greenhouse effect (trends, predictions and impact)
- Benefits of greenhouse gas minimisation and energy reduction
- Methods for reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- National and international climate legislation and policies
- Carbon accounting and reporting
- Identifying and evaluating carbon reduction and renewable energy options.
This course has similarities to ENGG3860. If you have successfully completed ENGG3860 you cannot enrol in this course.
Quiz: Online Quizzes
Participation: Blackboard discussion forum
Written Assignment: Presentation Slides
Written Assignment: GHG Inventory and Report
Formal Examination: Formal exam
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term starting in week 1
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term starting in week 1