In this course students are introduced to fluid mechanics concepts and their application in a range of engineering contexts. It lays the foundation for subsequent courses studied in the following years.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2021
This course replaces the following course(s): CHEE2315, CIVL2310 and MECH2710. Students who have successfully completed CHEE2315, CIVL2310 or MECH2710 are not eligible to enrol in ENGG2300.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Solve elementary fluid mechanics problems encountered by engineers
2. Identify fluid mechanics related problems
3. Conduct fluid experiments in a laboratory setting
4. Demonstrate report writing skills commensurate with second year engineering students
- Properties of fluids and flows
- Fluid statics
- Integral form of equations of motion
- Differential form of equations of motion
- Inviscid flow
- Dimensional analysis and experimental methods
- Viscous external flows
- Viscous internal flows
- Discipline specific topics:
- CIVL: pipe network distribution systems
- CHEE: two-phase flow and fluid flow in process equipment
- MECH: introduction to CFD
If you have successfully completed CHEE2315 Fluid Mechanics for Chemical Engineers, or CIVL2310 Fluid Mechanics or MECH2710 Fluid Mechanics 1, you cannot enrol in ENGG2300.
Content covered in MATH1110 Mathematics for Engineering, Science and Technology 1 and MATH1120 Mathematics for Engineering, Science and Technology 2, or equivalent.
Written Assignment: Assignments
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory Experiment
Formal Examination: Exam
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face or Online.
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.