This course introduces students to the use of computers in engineering. Typically less than half of the class has had previous substantial experience with computers and a substantial minority have none. The course assumes no previous knowledge and has the objective of achieving competency in a high-level programming language as well as improving problem-solving skills.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2020
This course replaces the following course(s): GENG1002. Students who have successfully completed GENG1002 are not eligible to enrol in ENGG1002.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering in the use of spreadsheets and in the development of computer programs
2. Write well-formatted and user-friendly spreadsheets to perform engineering calculations
3. Use spreadsheets to prepare graphs and tables for inclusion in engineering reports
4. Plan, write, test and debug computer programs for engineering applications
- Introduction to computers, programming language and associated problem-solving skills
- The elements of a computer programming language including variable types, assignment statements, library functions, control structures, functions and procedures, arrays and formatting
- Introduction to using Excel for engineering computations: fitting curves to experimental measurements, creating publication-quality graphs, solving equations, Excel and user-defined functions, selected topics on programming Excel for numerical analysis and statistics
- Introduction to forms, controls and basic elements of a Graphics User Interface
This course replaces GENG1002. If you have successfully completed GENG1002 you cannot enrol in this course.
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Written Assignment: Assignment 3
In Term Test: Mid Term Exam
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
BCA Singapore and Callaghan
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term