This course is orientated around a number of major projects where students work in teams to design and develop a specified product, device or system.
Each project itself involves both management and engineering components. It requires students to utilise knowledge from a range of disciplines including some or all of: Electrical, Electronics, Communications, Computing, Software, Signal Processing, Control and Mechanical systems.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Trimester 3 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Trimester 2 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Integrate & extend the knowledge gained through their studies.
2. Use library, internet and other resources to research and critically evaluate information about broad Electrical and Computer Engineering topics.
3. Gain experience in preparing and presenting information to other engineers.
4. Gain experience in working both individually and in a small engineering team to expand and develop time and resource management skills, and effective team participation.
5. Develop the capacity to critically appraise and apply emerging technologies to solve real-world problems
This course will be conducted largely as individual and team projects performing, under guidance, the following tasks for the design of a product, device or system.
- Perform a literature search to determine the appropriate technical, legislative and marketing requirements (where applicable).
- Perform a detailed technical design of a product, device or system, including specifications, detailed circuit diagrams (if appropriate), software definitions (if appropriate), detailed parts list, method of construction, testing and maintenance schedules.
- Produce an appropriate report detailing the above design.
- Give oral presentations of the project design
- To the extent dictated by the nature of the project, pursue the implementation of the design, or conduct further tests and development as will confirm the adequacy of the design.
- Produce a detailed final report including: a) The detailed final design and financial report; b) A users manual (where applicable).
The projects will include a significant engineering component involving a range of disciplines including some or all of: Electrical, Electronic, Communications, Computing, Software, signal processing, control, and mechanical systems. Example projects might include: The application and control of robotic devices, the instrumentation and automation of an industrial process, and a multi-user telephone system.
2nd year of either Electrical, Computer or Telecommunications Engineering.
3rd year, 1st Semester of either Electrical, Computer or Telecommunications Engineering
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Progress Milestones
Report: Interim Design Report
Practical Demonstration: Interim Demonstration and Presentation
Report: Final Report
Practical Demonstration: Final Project Demonstration
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term