This course provides an introduction to the principles & techniques of design, implementation, and analysis of communication networks which is the key technology for the modern ICT systems. Topics include: basis of voice, video, data and internet communications. network topologies, architecture. switching techniques, network design, basic queuing analysis, protocols. local and wide area networks, cellular wireless networks, TCP/IP/UDP/DHCP protocols, routing techniques, multicasting techniques. network security, Performance analysis and network simulation.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand basic and some advanced concepts and techniques of telecommunications networks.
2. Develop problem solving approaches as applied in telecommunications networking areas.
3. Able to analyse performance of basic communication networks using both analytical and simulation techniques.
4. Understand telecommunication network design techniques and practical implementation issues.
5. Understand the basic properties of internet and telecommunications traffic properties.
- Packet switched communication, OSI & TCP/IP models
- Network devices, transmission mediums, traffic sources
- Error detection and correction techniques
- Multiplexing, Statistical multiplexing and Multiple access techniques
- Network queues and delay analysis
- Local and Wide area networks, Virtual Network
- Routing and Multicast routing protocols
- Cellular wireless networks
- TCP/IP/UDP/DHCP protocols
- Network security
ELEC1710 or COMP2240 and STAT2110 or MATH1510
Report: Lab Reports x 5
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 5 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.