This course provides students with an introduction to the sociological study of education. Through investigating the relationship between society, social diversity, and contemporary education systems, the course prepares students to explore and understand equity issues in schooling, to reflect on education policy and their teaching practices, and the ways in which educators might contribute to a just society through the creation of socially and culturally inclusive educational environments.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2020.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand the historical development of mass schooling and its positioning in contemporary diverse and globalized societies;
2. Identify social, political and cultural divisions at the global, national and local levels, how they create social realities in classrooms, and the impact of these divisions on students' outcomes;
3. Interpret and critically engage with contemporary policy, current issues, values, practices and ethical considerations in their area of specialisation; and
4. Develop socially just pedagogical and curricular practices for diverse student populations in their specialisation.
- Schooling and society: the development of mass schooling globally and its current positioning.
- Social divisions - power, equity and the social construction of 'self' and 'the other'.
- Analyzing the role values, virtues and ethics play in developing socially and culturally inclusive and just educational environments.
- Theory based understanding and critique of contemporary educational issues and practices.
- Developing teaching strategies and practices for socially and culturally inclusive and equitable classrooms.
Students cannot enrol in EDUC6911 if they have previously successfully completed EDUC6168.
Essay: Assignment 1 25%
Essay: Assignment 2 45%
In Term Test: Examination 30%
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.