This course provides students with the foundational knowledge and skills that they will need in order to become a secondary teacher and maximise the achievement of learning outcomes for all students. It introduces students to principles and practice of quality teaching, by focusing on approaches to teaching that (a) promote high levels of intellectual quality; (b) establish high quality contexts for learning; and (c) generate significance for learners. Students will have the opportunity to participate in clinical activities where they will analyse, design, evaluate and reflect upon quality classroom and assessment practice through simulated QT Rounds. A mandatory component of this course is a 10 day placement in a school where students will observe and provide some support in classrooms.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2015.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Synthesise a broad research base to deepen their understandings of the foundations of quality teaching in secondary schools;
2. Plan and teach a lesson that supports high levels of intellectual quality; establishes a high quality learning environment and generates significance for learners;
3. Critically reflect upon classroom teaching within a simulated QT Round; and
4. Apply the principles of quality teaching to the design and evaluation of assessment for learning practices.
The following course content will be addressed in the context of quality teaching in secondary schools: becoming a facilitator of Quality Teaching Rounds; promoting intellectual quality; establishing high quality learning environments; generating significance for learners; and planning and reflecting upon quality classroom and assessment for learning practices.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Master of Teaching (Secondary) (11715) program.
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Quality Teaching assessment practice - Research Proposal
Presentation: Showcase Reflection Task
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
- Child Protection Awareness Training - Students must complete approved child protection awareness training.
- Working with Children - A national criminal history check and review of findings of misconduct involving children, required for any child-related work.
- Anaphylaxis Training - Students must complete approved anaphylaxis training.