This course aims to provide students with the knowledge to be competent in assessment as part of an integrated approach to supporting the development and/or remediation of language and literacy abilities in deaf and hard of hearing children. The course provides a foundation for students to relate assessment of children's abilities to intervention and remediation approaches in each of those areas.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of assessment in special education;
2. Demonstrate knowledge and skill with formal and informal approaches to assessing the language and literacy abilities of children and adolescents with hearing loss;
3. Demonstrate competence in reporting assessment results and establishing short and long term learning goals;
4. Demonstrate knowledge of a range of strategies and programs designed to facilitate/remediate language and literacy development;
5. Demonstrate knowledge of, and the capacity to access, current professional literature in assessment, development and remediation of language and communication abilities in children and adolescents with hearing loss.
Topics will include:
- Principles of assessment;
- Differentiation of habilitation/development and (re)habilitation/remediation;
- Types and use of language and literacy assessments;
- Administration of language and literacy assessments;
- Assessment report writing;
- Establishing short and long term goals;
- Principles of teaching that facilitate language and literacy remediation/development;
- Strategies for language and literacy intervention and instruction.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies programs (11008 or 12365) or Master of Special Education programs (10936, 12356, or 40014).
EDUC6661 - Audiology for Special Educators EDUC6662 - Speech Science and Speech Development EDUC6663 - Foundations of Language & Literacy Development
Quiz: Quiz: On-line
Written Assignment: Assignment 2 - Case Scenario/Problem-Based Learning Exercise
Written Assignment: Assignment 3 Case Scenario/Problem-Based Learning Exercise
Self-Directed 9 hour(s) per Week for 13 Weeks
Online 10 hour(s) per Term