Young children's worlds involve communication through multiple literacies. This course will explore current frameworks, pedagogies, and technologies to support the development of multiple literacies through Early Childhood education. Students will have the opportunity to explore contemporary issues in Early Childhood literacy learning, and apply their understanding in the development of a multimodal Early Childhood literacy curriculum.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2018.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Discuss and apply current pedagogical frameworks for multiple literacies in Early Childhood;
2. Critically engage with current issues in Early Childhood literacy education;
3. Critically examine literacy curriculum for young children; and
4. Evaluate technologies for literacy learning in the early Childhood context.
The following list indicates indicative course content:
- Pedagogical frameworks for developing multiple literacies
- Children as symbol users and communicators
- Children's contextual literacies
- Multimodal literacies and young children
- Evaluation of technologies for literacy learning
Written Assignment: Assessment 1
Written Assignment: Assessment 2