This course deepens students' knowledge of the principles and practices of teaching and learning Mathematics in secondary schools. Students will explore and critically analyse course, programming and assessment requirements for Stage 4 and 5 Mathematics and Higher School Certificate Mathematics. Specific attention will be given to key concepts, forms of mathematical proof and reasoning, and ways of addressing common misconceptions students hold with regard to mathematical concepts.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. interpret the course, programming and assessment requirements of the Higher School Certificate for Mathematics
2. support the literacy and numeracy demands of mathematics as an area of study.
3. address common misconceptions students hold with regard to mathematical concepts
This course introduces students to
- Course, programming and assessment requirements of the NSW School Certificate and Higher School Certificate for Mathematics.
- Support the literacy and numeracy demands of mathematics as an area of study.
- Methods for addressing common misconceptions of mathematical concepts.
Written Assignment: Assessment 1
Written Assignment: Assessment 2
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 6 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Integrated Learning may be offered face-to-face, on-line, or a combination of both and may include scheduled periods of self-directed learning.
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Self-Directed 10 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 16 hour(s) per Term Full Term