This course deepens students' understanding of the principles and practices of teaching and learning in secondary schools across the Maths, Science and Technology KLAs. It will place particular emphasis on the investigative, problem solving and design aspects of authorised syllabi in these areas and elucidate those aspects where pupil experience in one area can deepen and expand their learning in another. During this course the students will produce learning materials and activities integrating interdisciplinary content. Activities will be shared with practicing teachers for appraisal.
Not currently offered.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe and evaluate the role of problem solving, design and investigation in STEM KLA syllabi.
2. Develop authentic, interdisciplinary approaches to the teaching of their core teaching subject.
3. Incorporate new technologies into the teaching and learning of STEM teaching subject . Incorporate new technologies into the teaching and learning of STEM teaching subjects.
- Investigation, design and problem solving in STEM syllabi in NSW.
- Interactions between the design process, problem solving and investigation.
- Development of student capacities in design, investigation, and problem solving.
- Development of program development skills for the integration of STEM in secondary schools including the creation of interdisciplinary learning materials and activities to be shared with practicing teachers.