This course provides students with knowledge and skills to apply a range of visual pedagogies and their inquiry-based learning strategies into the classroom to address the centrality of the image in contemporary communication and learning. It is suitable for all pre-service teachers, primary and secondary. This practical course is underpinned by a range of learning perspectives such as social, cultural, multimodal learning, critical self-reflection, wellbeing, equity and inclusivity, material and digital learning and the visual narrative. Through creative approaches to 21st century learning the course builds the skills of the pre-service teacher to develop pedagogies that allow them to integrate the image as a cognitive tool into all classrooms effectively.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the debates that underpin contemporary literacies, learning in the imaged, digital global world.
2. Develop skills as a self-reflective teacher through arts-based inquiry, applying discursive practices through personalised visual and written narratives.
3. Utilise arts-based pedagogies in KLA areas or as an integrated curriculum design strategy
4. Create, Design and critique arts-based learning objects and their application as pedagogical tools in material and digital contexts, suitable for Stage 3-10
1. Contemporary Literacies, multimodality and the imaged digital and globalised world.
2. Postmodernism, learning narratives, local and global cultures
3. What are visual narratives and how do they work in contemporary society and education?
4. Creative visual narrative design and KLA learning applications
5. Issues of subjectivity, creativity and wellbeing and the role of the arts in strong inclusive school cultures.
6. How to construct perzines (personal zines) and other arts-based contemporary writing strategies at an age appropriate level for Stage 3-10
To enrol in this course, students must meet the teacher education admission milestones, if commencing a teaching program from commencement of 2016.
Enrolment in this course is dependent on meeting the teacher education admission milestone of successful completion of - Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or - 80 units of UoN courses or - Regulatory authority approved comparable pathways or - Commencement in the program pre 2016
Written Assignment: Essay on the role of the image and arts based learning
Project: Learning objects and Perzine Pedagogies
Portfolio: Reflective and discursive portfolio
Integrated Learning Session
Online 6 hour(s) per Term
Integrated Learning will typically consist of a series of online activities, presentation. This is an accelerated course.
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 16 hour(s) per Term