This course provides an introduction to curriculum, pedagogy and assessment for teaching the Stage 6 Design and Technology and Industrial Technology Syllabi. It provides students with an opportunity to understand the various discourses on current issues that inform teachers' knowledge and pedagogical practice, as well as critically engaging with models of pedagogy. Students will experience authentic opportunities to work with stage 6 students.
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Design challenging, engaging, and supportive project-based learning units for teaching the Stage 6 Technology curriculum of their first and second teaching areas.
2. Utilise appropriate pedagogies, resources, and assessment practices for teaching Stage 6 Technology
3. Understand the assessment requirements of the NSW Higher School Certificate.
4. Understand issues involved in managing and supervising senior technology projects.
This course introduces students to:Curriculum
- Stage 6 Design and Technology and Industrial Syllabus-
- Authentic mentoring of stage 6 students
- Planning Lessons, Programming/Unit of Work/Resources
- Contemporary approaches to pedagogy (incl. the NSW Quality Teaching framework).
- Academic culture, literacy, numeracy and technacy issues.
- Problem Based Learning, Design, Communication, Research, Innovation, Emerging Technologies, Sustainability, Evaluation
- Major Project and Folio Management
- Professional Affiliates: TEA, IIATE, NSW Institute of Teachers, TEA. DECA, HEA, HHEA.
- Teaching Strategies including: Autonomous Learning Model, Case Study, Industry Studies, Oral Presentations, Research, Discourse and Mentoring.
- Scope and Sequence
- Whole School Assessment
- Using SMART Data
- Using formative and summative data
- Stage 6 Subject Assessment Requirements
- HSC assessment and examination
- Oral and Written reports
- Graphics and Electronics/Robotics
To enrol in this course you must meet the Teacher Education Admission milestone. If you have successfully completed EDUC3031 you cannot enrol in this course.
Enrolment in this course is dependent on meeting the teacher education admission milestone of successful completion of - Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or - 80 units of UoN courses or - Regulatory authority approved comparable pathways or - Commencement in the program pre 2016
Students should have completed EDUC1101, EDUC2145, EDUC2245 and EDUC3245. It is expected that in EDUC1101 they would have enrolled in the Design and Technology tutorial.
Report: Mentoring Report
Written Assignment: Assessment Task Design
Online 8 hour(s) per Term Full Term starting in week 1
Lectures, tutorials and workshops may be conducted on a weekly basis, or grouped in multiple day-long or half-day intensives, possibly on a weekend.
Face to Face On Campus 16 hour(s) per Term Full Term starting in week 1
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Term Full Term starting in week 1