Students will be introduced to current research in the field of physical education, physical activity and health in children - with a major focus on the primary school setting. Students will gain an understanding of a range of research trends and issues and will investigate the strengths and weaknesses of research projects to improve a range of physical education, physical activity and health outcomes.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Winter - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of current research and research practices in the field of physical education, physical activity and health
2. Demonstrate an understanding of research methods and their practical application in a primary school setting
3. Evaluation of current research interventions targeting children with reference to methodology, feasibility, effectiveness and sustainability.
4. Demonstrate valuing of physical education, physical activity and health research as a necessary part of the teaching profession and their career as lifelong learners.
The course will include the investigation of:
- Current research in physical education, physical activity and health
- Research methods used in physical activity and health
- Effectiveness of school and community-based research studies targeting children
- Current assessment tools used in physical education, physical activity and health
Annotated Bibliography: 1 Annotated Bibliography
Literature Review: 2 Literature Review
Presentation: 3 Presentation
Self-Directed 4 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 20 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Either timetabled or online learning as specified in the course outline. Number of tutorials depend on student numbers and staff viability. Lectures may be podcast. Course may be delivered on a weekly basis or in a block mode.