This course develops students' knowledge and skills of music and performance arts, to represent and make meaning about concepts from the Science KLA area in the Primary Curriculum. The course reinforces the key concepts in vocal skills, percussion and other instrumentation, symbol systems and composition, kinaesthetic learning, play building, movement and performance production skills. Through development of performance projects and engagement with Science, students will additionally explore literacy, HSIE and the environment through the development of arts skills in music, drama and dance using multi modal methodologies to support the diversity of learners in the classroom. Students will be engaging practically and personally with the role of performance arts processes in constructing and documenting collaborative and student-centred pedagogical applications.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Summer 2 - 2020.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and skills in music and performance arts for the construction and representation of knowledge and in communicating learning to audiences, specifically in primary classroom learning contexts.
2. Create, analyse and critique digital music and performance arts learning products.
3. Demonstrate capacity to design multimodal, collaborative and student-centred learning projects for the integration of knowledge and skills. in the primary classroom
1. Building performance arts pre-production, production and post-production knowledge and skills: connecting literacy and HSIE and science concepts to develop pedagogical understanding through the application of the arts.
2. Creating, analysing and critiquing performance skills, including the body, voice, gesture and music in multimodal forms of composition.
3. Applying 21st century learning: creativity, communication, collaboration and critical thinking through arts pedagogies
4. Designing KLA multimodal learning projects and document and represent the ideas and concepts through music and performance arts for the primary classroom
5. Applying music and performance arts embodied learning and student-centred pedagogies to learning in the Primary classroom.
Enrolment in this course is dependent on meeting the teacher education admission milestone of successful completion of
- Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or
- 80 units of UoN courses or
- Regulatory authority approved comparable pathways or
- Commencement in the program pre 2016
Written Assignment: Written Response
Performance: Composition piece
Portfolio: Project Resource Portfolio