Develops understanding and skills for working in early childhood settings and primary schools with children with additional needs. The course satisfies the New South Wales Government's requirement that a person seeking employment as a teacher in the NSW public education system must have completed a program containing special education content. It also addresses the 0-5 years period of child development and examines the impact of disability and developmental delay on children and their families.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify and discuss issues, attitudes and concepts relevant to the education of students with diverse needs within the social context of their early childhood setting or school;
2. Demonstrate knowledge of legislation, educational policies and provisions as well as syllabus documents relating to students with diverse needs including those with a disability;
3. Utilise a range of teaching and learning practices designed to maximise the social and learning experiences of students with diverse needs in early childhood and primary settings;
4. Develop understanding of the role of families in supporting a child with a disability and the role of the teacher as a collaborative participant in developing effective educational programs; and
5. Demonstrate awareness of the impact of additional needs on children 0-12 years of age.
- Diverse needs and inclusive practices
- Legislation, policy and educational services in NSW pre-schools and schools.
- Individual goals + learning support plans
- Play skills, assessing and addressing delays in social/emotional skills
- Implementing reasonable adjustments to meet specific learning needs
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- Assessing and addressing delays in literacy/numeracy skills
- Development of skills for collaborating with families and other professionals
- Encouraging positive interactions
- Resources to support inclusion
To enrol in this course, students must meet the teacher education admission milestones, if commencing a teaching program from commencement of 2016.
Enrolment in this course is dependent on meeting the teacher education admission milestone of successful completion of - Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or - 80 units of UoN courses or - Regulatory authority approved comparable pathways or - Commencement in the program pre 2016
Journal: Learning Journal
In Term Test: In term test
Presentation: Presenting on research topic
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Study
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 6 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 11 Weeks