This course provides an introduction to teaching and learning in English in K-6 contexts with a focus on children's reception, interpretation and interdependency of verbal, textual and visual literacies. Students will explore the NSW English K-6 syllabus incorporating the Australian Curriculum and the role and value of English in the broader school curriculum.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2021
- Semester 1 - 2021
This course replaces the following course(s): EDUC1738. Students who have successfully completed EDUC1738 are not eligible to enrol in EDUC2748.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand the development of children's reception, interpretation and interdependency of verbal, textual and visual literacies;
2. Consider children's home and community literacy practices as a foundation for learning in K-6 contexts;
3. Value children's literature as a context for teaching and learning in English;
4. Appreciate the role and value of English in the broader school curriculum;
5. Understand and use the NSW English K-6 syllabus incorporating the Australian Curriculum (2012) to plan for learning and teaching in all aspects of literacy.
- Theory, concepts and key stages related to the acquisition of knowledge and skills in the reception, interpretation and interdependency of verbal, textual and visual literacies.
- The role and value of English in the broader school curriculum.
- The place of English in the K-12 English continuum.
- English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D).
- The impact of home and community literacy practices.
- Children's literature as a context for literacy learning and teaching.
- Principles and practices of teaching and learning of verbal literacy (speaking and listening).
- Principles and practices of teaching and learning of reading including phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency vocabulary knowledge and text comprehension, concepts of print, grammar.
- Strategies for assessing and reporting aspects of reading.
- NSW Syllabus for the Australian Curriculum: English K-10
For students who commenced in the program in 2016 onwards, enrolment in this course is dependent on successful completion of the teacher education admission milestone:
- Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or
- 80 units of UON courses or
- Regulatory authority approved comparable pathways.
If you have successfully completed EDUC1738 you cannot enrol in this course.
Written Assignment: Essays/Written Assignments
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Scenario/PBL Exercises
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.