This course will develop students' pedagogical understanding of a variety of teaching strategies suitable for use at the secondary school level. Students will investigate these strategies with reference to current Science syllabi. They will consider the rationale of the syllabi and use knowledge of a variety of teaching strategies introduced in this course to develop suitable lesson and unit plans that draw on their own discipline minor, and gather resources that will help them to teach that minor in Stage-appropriate ways that are consistent with quality teaching.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Articulate the role and value of Science education in contemporary society and the broader school curriculum;
2. Develop science lesson plans and programs for their discipline minor at the Stage 4/5 level of the 7-12 curriculum;
3. Support the literacy and numeracy demands of their discipline minor as an area of study; and
4. Use a range of strategies, technologies and resources for teaching their discipline minor.
- The principles and practices of teaching and learning Science in secondary schools.
- The role and value of Science education in contemporary society and the broader school curriculum.
- Lesson planning and programming for the Stage 4/5 Science curriculum.
- Strategies, technologies and resources for teaching Stage 4/5 Science.
Enrolment in this course is dependent on meeting the teacher education admission milestone of successful completion of
- Three HSC band 5s (including one in English) or
- 80 units of UoN courses or
- Regulatory authority approved comparable pathways or
- Commencement in the program pre 2016
Journal: Reflection On Own Experiences
Proposal / Plan: Lesson Plan
Proposal / Plan: Unit Plan
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 16 hour(s) per Term Full Term
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.