This course focuses on lifetime physical activity participation and will include: Fitness and exercise activity instruction, athletics, recreation and outdoor activities and adapted physical education.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge, understanding and skill competencies relating to a range of lifetime physical activities for individuals of all abilities;
2. Apply effective teaching and coaching principles/strategies to correct and extend performances in a variety of activity mediums;
3. Analyse fitness activities, exercise programs and sports using exercise science and fitness principles;
4. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the importance of promoting a variety of activities to adolescents in a school and community setting;
5. Demonstrate the importance of risk assessment and the safety and legal issues regarding school-aged participation in a variety of activities.
This course focuses on lifetime physical activity participation and includes both theory and practical participation across four strands of learning; Fitness and exercise/activity instruction; Athletics (Track and Field events); Adapted Physical Education (focusing on sport and physical education); and Outdoor Education recreational activities.
This course integrates lifetime physical activity and recreation utilizing community facilities and recreational activities (including a compulsory outdoor education camp experience) with a focus on teaching and instruction of secondary school physical education and sport settings. Students will also learn to analyse and manage risk assessment for sport and physical activity in a variety of settings.
Students cannot enrol in this course if they have successfully completed EDUC3058.
Written Assignment: Emergency Care Component (20%)
Report: Report (30%)
Formal Examination: Examination (50%)
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Field Study: There is a compulsory attendance requirement in this course. - Students must attend all field study components to pass the course
- Practical: There is a compulsory attendance requirement in this course. - A minimum of 80% attendance is required to pass the course
Face to Face Off Campus 10 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 26 hour(s) per Term Full Term starting in week 1
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.