This course provides students with an opportunity to gain knowledge, understanding and skills in movement skill acquisition to facilitate the planning, assessment, implementation and evaluation of a fundamental movement intervention program in a primary school setting.
Students will gain valuable theoretical and practical experience while attending lectures and participating in tutorials as well as learn a variety of planning, assessment and teaching techniques for the implementation and evaluation of a fundamental movement skills program in a primary school setting.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the processes of motor skill acquisition in children and adolescents;
2. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles of growth, development and motor behaviour in children and adolescents;
3. Gain knowledge, understanding and skills to detect motor skill deficiencies and design programs to correct and evaluate the motor skills of children in a primary school setting;
4. Demonstrate skills, knowledge and understanding of relevant content and pedagogy enabling the application of content in ways that are responsive to the particular characteristics of learners, curricula and teaching environments;
5. Document the progress of the learners, the process of implementation and complete an evaluation of the intervention program; and
6. Become familiar with recent research and understand the implications for motor skill acquisition in children and adolescents.
- Growth and developmental stages in children and adolescents.
- Principles of motor skill acquisition.
- Nature and classification of motor skills.
- Research and trends of motor development of Australian children.
- The learning process - attention, practice, memory and feedback.
- Measurement and analysis of motor skills.
- Practical performance of motor skills and pedagogy for motor skill development.
- School-based motor skill assessment, programming and evaluation in a primary school setting.
This course is only available to students enrolled in B Teaching (Secondary) / B Health & Phys Ed , B Teaching (Health & Phys Ed) (Honours), B Education (Primary) , B Education (Primary) (Honours) , B Education (Secondary) , B Education (Secondary) (Honours) , B Teaching (Primary) / B Arts , B Teaching (Primary) (Honours)  programs
Formal Examination: Exam
Face to Face On Campus 12 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 24 hour(s) per Term Full Term