This course provides students with an opportunity to gain knowledge, understanding and skills in movement skill acquisition to facilitate the planning, assessment, implementation and evaluation of a fundamental movement intervention program in a primary school setting.
Students will gain valuable theoretical and practical experience while attending lectures and participating in tutorials as well as learn a variety of planning, assessment and teaching techniques for the implementation and evaluation of a fundamental movement skills program in a primary school setting.
- Semester 1 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the processes of motor skill acquisition in children and adolescents;
2. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles of growth, development and motor behaviour in children and adolescents;
3. Gain knowledge, understanding and skills to detect motor skill deficiencies and design programs to correct and evaluate the motor skills of children in a primary school setting;
4. Demonstrate skills, knowledge and understanding of relevant content and pedagogy enabling the application of content in ways that are responsive to the particular characteristics of learners, curricula and teaching environments;
5. Document the progress of the learners, the process of implementation and complete an evaluation of the intervention program; and
6. Become familiar with recent research and understand the implications for motor skill acquisition in children and adolescents.
- Growth and developmental stages in children and adolescents.
- Principles of motor skill acquisition.
- Nature and classification of motor skills.
- Research and trends of motor development of Australian children.
- The learning process - attention, practice, memory and feedback.
- Measurement and analysis of motor skills.
- Practical performance of motor skills and pedagogy for motor skill development.
- School-based motor skill assessment, programming and evaluation in a primary school setting.
This course is only available to students enrolled in B Teaching (Secondary) / B Health & Phys Ed , B Teaching (Health & Phys Ed) (Honours), B Education (Primary) , B Education (Primary) (Honours) , B Education (Secondary) , B Education (Secondary) (Honours) , B Teaching (Primary) / B Arts , B Teaching (Primary) (Honours)  programs
In Term Test: In class test
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Field Study: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must attend all field study components to pass the course
- Tutorial: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - A minimum of 80% attendance is required to pass the course
Face to Face Off Campus 10 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 12 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 14 hour(s) per Term Full Term