This course prepares students for the careers in the creative industries by providing opportunities to undertake a professional placement in an internal university-run studio. During the placement they will develop professional skills and practices appropriate to their chosen profession and experience the dynamics, discourses, practices and realities of working in a professional environment. Direction is provided onsite by a placement supervisor.
Student projects may include, but are not limited to: theoretical explorations and reviews; speculative design practices; professionally oriented projects; work-integrated learning and research-integrated learning opportunities; group / collaborative projects; external stakeholder based projects.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Summer 2 - 2021.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the ability to apply creative and technical skills learned in their degree to a relevant industry placement
2. Present solutions to briefs in a manner commensurate with industry standards and respond to feedback on these, through the implementation of reflective and/ or iterative processes
3. Critically evaluate issues facing visual communication practitioners in day to day practice.
4. Demonstrate the ability to collaborate in a team with colleagues when responding to client briefs.
- Record, report and critically reflect on placement.
- Develop a portfolio of work that demonstrates participation and experiential learning.
- Evaluate aspects of their field of creative professional practice with peers and professional practitioners.
- Develop professional skills that can be used in client-facing situations such as appropriate communication methods, presenting to clients and responding to client feedback.
Journal: Online Journal Entries - 20%
Presentation: Presentation - 40%
Report: Final Report - 40%
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.