With the expansion of computer and internet technology, and more recently the Internet of Things, previously unthinkable amounts of data are now regularly being collected and used for knowledge extraction to support day-to-day operations as well as strategic planning of businesses and organisations. Together with huge benefits, Big Data also introduced security and privacy concerns.
This course introduces students to Big Data and the benefits it can provide to business. Students learn the main concepts in relation to Big Data storage and analytics, and security issues that arise in relation to Big Data. Students also learn how to ethically use Big Data to advance their business while taking care that no harm is done to their employees, customers and the community at large.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Trimester 3 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand what Big Data is and why classical data analysis techniques are no longer adequate
2. Understand the benefits that Big Data can offer to businesses and organisations
3. Understand conceptually how Big Data is stored
4. Understand how Big Data can be analysed to extract knowledge
5. Communicate with data scientists
- Introduction to Big Data
- The implications of Big Data on business
- Storing data
- Big Data Analytics
- Security issues with Big Data
Quiz: Quiz 1
Quiz: Quiz 2