Through this course students will work in a project related to computer science area. The work will be undertaken in an organization (industry, research groups, labs) which require computer science skills into their practices. This direct experience will expose students to project management practices of managers and/or researchers. Under supervision and in a group work environment, students will undertake 100 hours work placement with appropriated organisation involved in computer science related areas.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Apply a suite of computer science skills learnt in the program in a specific project.
2. Critically set objectives and evaluate outcomes
3. Develop skills required for the workplace, including both written and verbal communication and team work;
4. Demonstrate professional knowledge by undertaking computer science tasks.
5. Critically reflect on the ethical and technical issues facing computer sciences in the workplace.
The course comprises activities based on planning, developing, reporting and critically reflecting on a major activity related with computer science area. Students will1. Apply for, secure and complete an appropriate placement opportunity.2. Prepare a 'Program of Activity Agreement', which should be signed by the student, workplace supervisor and by the Course Coordinator3. Collaborate to plan, carry out and report on an appropriate computer science project.4. Complete an 80-100 hour placement with an organisation which requires computer science expertise.5. Record, report and critically reflect on placement experiences.
6. Prepare and deliver a seminar to describe the activities undertaken during the project.7. Describe and analyse ethical and technical issues relating to real world research and practice.
This course is only available to students active in the Bachelor of Computer Science , Bachelor of Mathematics / Bachelor of Computer Science  and Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) / Bachelor of Computer Science  programs.
Successful completion of at least 140 units
Proposal / Plan: Project Plan
Report: Final Written Report
Report: Supervisor Report
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 4 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term