This course provides students with skills in the application and analysis of sound for interactive media. It takes a project-based approach to producing audio for digitally focused games and AR/VR environments. Projects will build on prior audio learning to use advanced forms of production for the recording of dialogue, music and SFX for interactive media. The course examines, through application, computer generated sounds, synthesis and MIDI applications and explores the advantages and disadvantages of sampling, quantising, overcoming latency problems, the choice of file formats, codecs and storage. It develops, via practice, audio assets and audio engines for interactive media. This course uses a Work Integrated Learning process, students will be working on projects and undertaking authentic assessments in a production environment. In the process students will use a problem-based approach to employ ADR, Foley and Sound Stage work employed for interactive media.
Not currently offered.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Plan a Project for Interactive Media;
2. Produce an Interactive Audio Project;
3. Participate in Collaborative Processes;
4. Engage in Productions for Interactive Media;
5. Apply Dialogue, SFX and Music in an Interactive Media Environment
Topics may include:
- Background to Interactive Media: Games, and AR/VR environments.
- Planning and Budgeting Projects for Interactive Media.
- Sound Design: Creating Complex Interactivity.
- Production Processes: ADR, Foley and Use of the Sound Stage.
- Working Collaboratively at a Distance.
- Computer Generated Sounds: Synthesis, MIDI, Sampling, Quantising and Latency Sampling, Quantising and Latency.
- Data Transfer Networks: Uncompressed, Lossless and Lossy File Types.
- Creating Assets and the Audio Engine: Dialogue, Music and SFX for Interactive Media.
- Debugging and User Playback
- Copyright for Interactive Media.
CMNS2130, CMNS2400 or equivalent skills and knowledge in audio production.
Professional Task: Production Brief - 25%
Professional Task: Produce Audio Content - 25%
Project: Produce Audio Soundtrack for Interactive Media - 50%