Students will develop the skills, knowledge and ability to create a live-action short film. Working in groups students will take on the role of either a screen-writer, a director, a cinematographer, an art director, a sound recordist/composer or an editor. Emphasis in this course will be focused on original treatment of the story through crew collaboration and creative processes for location film production.
- Semester 1 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Develop skills, knowledge and understanding of short film production through collaborative filmmaking practice;
2. Develop and critically analyse short film scripts for location based productions;
3. Identify and critically reflect on the creative process related to short film production practices;
4. Demonstrate an understanding of industry expectations in regard to WHS, risk assessments, budgeting, ethical and moral issues, and safe working practices.
Topics to be covered are:
- Professional production practices and creative processes for screen-based practitioners working in collaborative groups.
- Industry expectation for short film productions including budgets, planning and scheduling, risk assessments, legal and copyright issues.
- Editorial, technical and aesthetic content development for short film productions.
- Planning and realising a short film production on time and within a limited resource base
60 units at 2000 level including CMNS2035
Professional Task: Short film production exercise (20%)
Presentation: Present Crew role paperwork for a short film (20%)
Professional Task: Short film 6 minutes (40%)
Journal: Exegesis about Short Film practice (20%)
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Workshop: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions. - In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory safety induction (equipment usage).
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks starting in week 13
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks starting in week 1
Face to Face On Campus 7 hour(s) per Week for 2 Weeks starting in week 2
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 2
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks starting in week 1
In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory safety induction (equipment usage).