The course introduces students to a broad range of specific ethical and legal issues pertinent to various aspects of the media. The course will investigate and analyse techniques for dealing with moral problems and moral dilemmas that students may encounter in their professional lives. The course will also examine and analyse the general nature of ethical, legal and moral discourse pertaining to professional communication.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2019.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the nature of ethics and moral discourse.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of a range of specific ethical issues, perspectives and debates relevant to their chosen major within the B Communication.
3. Demonstrate an understanding, where applicable, of the legal issues relevant to their chosen major within the B Communication.
4. Critically appraise and discuss the relevant literature in written and oral forms.
5. Communicate understanding of the relevant ethical and legal issues in written and oral forms.
The course has three parts.
- The first part introduces students to the nature of ethics and moral discourse, the nature of ethical methodology, and the possibilities and limits of ethical discourse and practice.
- The second part introduces students to ethical and/or legal issues of general relevance to the B Communication, and may include topics such as: free speech, the nature of truth-telling, etc.
- The third part concerns a range of issues relevant to specific majors within the B Communications. For journalism majors, topics covered may include: code of ethics, privacy and the public interest, defamation laws, etc. For public relations majors, topics covered may include: code of ethics, the limits of advocacy, the promotion of harmful products, etc. For media production majors, topics covered may include: morality in editing, copyright laws, representation of gender and minority groups, etc.
60 units at 1000 or 2000 level.
Presentation: Presentation Tutorial
Essay: Minor Essay and Major Essay
Journal: Learning Journal
In Term Test: Test