This course covers major writing genres associated with public relations including media releases, newsletter articles, brochures, speeches and copy for electronic and online media. The course is based on developing understanding of the principles and skills applicable to good professional writing in public relations practice through an emphasis on the application of those skills to practical writing exercises.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
- Trimester 2 - 2018 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand and carry out research, plan and write media releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, biographies, feature articles, position papers, reports and speeches;
2. Identify and use appropriate styles for public relations writing;
3. Adopt efficient formats for effective presentation;
4. Analyse examples of public relations writing and draw conclusions on their effectiveness.
5. Write competently in media style, paying attention to grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax.
Topics will include:
- The role and responsibilities of the public relations writer;
- Writing to persuade and the ethics of persuasion;
- Grammar and style;
- The purpose of media releases and writing media releases; brochures, flyers and posters;
- Newsletters: applying writing techniques, feedback and evaluation, and the print process;
- Long form and feature writing: types, aims, messages; speechwriting: introduction, planning, writing and delivery;
- Business writing formats: applying good writing rules to fact sheets, backgrounders, pitch letters, position papers, reports, and biographies;
- Writing for broadcast media: required styles and formats.
Completion of all 1000-level courses within the Public Relations Major.
Written Assignment: Media Release and Editing
Presentation: Persuasive Speech
Report: Website Analysis Report
Portfolio: Writing Portfolio
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Self-Directed 1 hour(s) per Week for 10 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks