This course will provide students with an understanding of the fundamental communication and relational concepts and processes that underpin public relations strategy. The course focusses on organisational communication behaviour and strategic engagement with key publics, and the role of public relations within an organisation. Using a problem-based learning approach, students will work collaboratively with local organisations to identify, analyse and address real-world communication issues. Students will develop strategic responses that are underpinned by relevant theoretical, ethical and legal frameworks.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2020
- Trimester 3 - 2020 (Singapore)
- Trimester 2 - 2020 (Singapore)
This course replaces the following course(s): CMNS3530. Students who have successfully completed CMNS3530 are not eligible to enrol in CMNS2530.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Explain key concepts of public relations strategy, stakeholders and publics in an organisational context;
2. Assess the strengths and weaknesses of public relations theory in underpinning and informing approaches to contemporary practice;
3. Identify key issues and trends in organisational communication practices and effectively communicate research outcomes;
4. Develop strategic responses that conform with the ethical and legal dimensions of organisational communication.
Topics will include:
- Key concepts of communication and public relations strategy
- Thematic engagement through the examination of organisational communication for key publics such as media relations, employee relations, community relations/CSR; and other stakeholder relations.
- Developing strategic responses to identified communication issues that are underpinned by public relations theory and comply with legal and ethical standards for organisational communication.
- Developing applied communication skills needed to produce strategic public relations materials in an organisational context.
If you have successfully completed CMNS3530 you cannot enrol in this course.
Completion of all 1000-level courses within the Public Relations Major and CMNS2140 Principles of Public Relations.
Online Learning Activity: Learning and Project Journal - 30%
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Tutorial Activities - 10%
Presentation: Organisational Communication Analysis - 30%
Report: Strategic Communication Response - 30%
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 10 Weeks starting in week 1
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 2