Students will be introduced to the skills and technologies of local, network and online radio production and programming. The course will examine the history of radio in Australia, analyse radio as a culture industry, investigate radio programming and production, including copywriting and production of content. Students will seek to understand audience research within the framework of contemporary radio formats and will gain an understanding of general programming and diverse radio formats.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand the communicative practices, skills and technologies of radio as a medium;
2. Understand the professional career paths in local, network and online radio;
3. Demonstrate skills required for producing radio content;
4. Effectively apply an understanding of radio production and programming.
Topics will include:
1. History of Radio in Australia
2. Structures, roles and functions of the radio industry
3. Music and talk formats
4. Audience research and demographics
5. Radio genres
6. Use of sound to construct narratives for radio
7. Copywriting for radio promotions
8. Production for promotional spots and stings
9. Radio announcing
10.Use of digital workstations and streaming applications.
CMNS1230, CMNS1240 and CMNS2130.
Professional Task: Program Plan - 25%
Professional Task: Production of Stings, Promotions and Spots
Professional Task: Radio Program - 50%
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Workshop: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions. - In order to participate in this course students must complete a compulsory safety inducation (equipment usage).
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 1
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 2
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks starting in week 1