Introduces students to the professional practice of contemporary journalism through consideration of the nature and role of news and current affairs in society. Through a variety of assigned tasks, students will develop analytical, research, interviewing, production, multimedia and writing skills. Students will engage in the analysis and production of journalism with a focus on news and current affairs.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Trimester 1 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Developed knowledge and understanding of the role of journalism in society.
2. Developed skills pertinent to contemporary journalism.
3. Started to develop skills in critical reflection on professional practice.
4. Developed advanced communication skills.
The course provides an introduction to journalism theory and practice with a focus on news and current affairs in print media. Students will develop:
- analytical skills to assess the impact of contemporary journalism in society and articulate its roles as a provider of information, education and entertainment;
- communication skills through tutorial and online discussion of the way contemporary news and current affairs are being discussed and framed in both Australian and international media;
- analytical, research, interviewing, production, multimedia and writing skills.
40 units at 1000 level including CMNS1090 Introduction to Professional Writing.
Quiz: Quiz - in class
Project: Project - Weekly Blackboard contribution
Online Learning Activity: Project - Blackboard presentation and in-class presentation
Project: Slideshow Journalism Assignment
Written Assignment: Written Journalism Assignment
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks