This course introduces students to professional writing skills for a range of communication media forms and platforms. Workshops provide the opportunity for students to develop skills to meet new writing challenges, to critically examine examples of professional writing, to discuss their own work with their peers, and to consider the ethical and legal obligations of the professional writer. Students are set writing tasks which offer the potential for publication.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
- Trimester 3 - 2020 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate professional writing and editing skills.
2. Apply scripting, interview and audio recording skills.
3. Produce written work at a publishable standard.
This course covers:
- Professional writing practice for journalism, public relations, broadcast and online media.
- Editing media releases, news stories for various platforms.
- Scripting audio stories.
This course assumes a level of English literacy consistent with an introductory university writing course, and experience with the conventions of basic writing forms, such as essays and written narratives.
Quiz: Style Guide Quiz - 20%
Professional Task: Media Release - 20%
Professional Task: News Story - 20%
Portfolio: Compilation of work - 40%
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks