CLAM6004 Clinical Practice Audit, Safety and Quality Improvement introduces candidates to quality improvement tools and techniques that enhance safety and quality of health care services. It describes the historical development of quality improvement, the introduction of quality improvement programs as a multidisciplinary approach in the health field, introduces basic methods of data presentation, and presents various examples of quality improvement techniques.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand the historical development of quality improvement, the introduction of quality improvement as a multidisciplinary approach in the health field, and be familiar with current initiatives
2. Understand the key principles of quality ( the importance of a customer focus, the perception of the work environment as a system, a scientific approach based on data, teamwork, leadership, and continuous improvement)
3. Be familiar with a variety of quality improvement methods.
4. Be familiar with clinical audit methodology and the clinical audit cycle
5. Use quality improvement tools commonly used in the health care setting and determine their appropriate applications
6. Gain practical experience in the application of the principles of quality improvement and the use of process and data analysis tools via the conduct of a small-scale quality improvement project in their workplace.
The course comprises four modules:
Module 1. Introducing quality improvement in health care
Module 2. Assessing and measuring quality
Module 3. Techniques and tools for measuring quality
Module 4. Quality improvement project (candidates are required to undertake an audit/quality improvement project in their own employment setting)
Online Learning Activity: BLOG – Key Principles of quality improvement
Written Assignment: Written Assignment/Field Study – Quality and safety within own organisation
Essay: Written essay/field study and report – Use of quality improvement tools
Written Assignment: Field Study/powerpoint – Work-based quality improvement project