This course covers the theory and practice of clinical teaching and assessment and staff appraisal in the workplace. It comprises components of Clinical Teaching on the Run and Workplace Based Assessment methods. Candidate's own continuing professional development strategies will be critically reviewed and clinical competence will be assessed using a variety of assessment tools as part of this course. Students wishing to enrol in this course will need to meet the eligibility requirements for working in a NSW Health facility.
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Plan and undertake a multi-source (360?) assessment of one¿s own workplace performance
2. Reflect on the outcome of a 360? assessment to develop and implement a personal continuing professional development program (CPDP)
3. Plan and undertake workplace based assessment of junior staff using a variety of tools
4. Utilise the 4-Step approach to clinical skills teaching and apply it in the workplace
5. Improve teaching in the workplace by recognising opportunities in the clinical setting
6. Incorporate principles of teaching and learning into clinical activities
7. Demonstrate competence as a clinical teacher
8. Run group teaching sessions and group learning activities
9. Evaluate learning outcomes
10. Plan learning activities covering a clinical term
11. Identify develop strategies to overcome learning difficulties.
The course is structured around six, 2-week learning modules:Module 1: Assessment and Appraisal in the WorkplaceModule 2: Clinical Teaching at the BedsideModule 3: Teaching Clinical SkillsModule 4: Identifying Learning DifficultiesModule 5: Effective Group TeachingModule 6: Planning Term Learning
Written Assignment: Evidence-based tools for assessing clinical competency in the workplace Blogs (x3)
Portfolio: Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Portfolio
Written Assignment: Small group teaching and Blog (x3)
Written Assignment: Written assignment
Integrated Learning Session
Online 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
This is an online delivery course. There are no set contact hours but it is expected that ten-unit courses equate to ten hours of study per week including online discussion, readings and assignments.
Online 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Online 6 hour(s) per Term Full Term