This course covers the structural design of reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete members. Topics include the structural design of reinforced concrete slabs (including two way slabs and flat plates), beams, columns and footings, and prestressed concrete beams.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Apply concepts for reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete design.
2. Synthesise and apply fundamental mechanics to the reinforced concrete design process.
3. Design, analyse and size simpler elements of reinforced and prestressed concrete elements.
4. Design and check for serviceability (crack and deflection) conditions and for ultimate limit state conditions in accordance with relevant reinforced concrete design and building standards.
5. Synthesise the design of reinforced concrete elements into a realistic structure.
Materials - concrete, reinforcing and prestressing steel
Design process and analysis of concrete structures
Design of reinforced concrete slabs, beams, columns and footings and prestressed concrete beams
Design and detailing of connections in concrete structures
Content covered in course CIVL2130 Theory of Structures 1.
Written Assignment: Design Assignments
Formal Examination: Formal Examination *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - A Criteria Fail shall be implemented for the Final Examination. Students are required to obtain at least 25 marks out of 50 in the final examination in order to pass the course irrespective of their performance in other assessment items.
BCA Singapore and Callaghan
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Lecture: 2 x 2 hrs p/week for full term.