Covers the structural design of reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete members. Topics include the structural design of reinforced concrete slabs (including two way slabs and flat plates), beams, columns and footings; prestressed concrete beam.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand basic reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete concepts.
2. Understand design process
3. Sizing of reinforced and prestressed concrete members
4. Structural design of a realistic structure
5. Ability to design and check for serviceability (crack and deflection) and ultimate limit state conditions in accordance to the Australian Standard AS 3600-2009.
- Materials - concrete, reinforcing and prestressing steel.
- Design process and analysis of concrete structures.
- Design of reinforced concrete slabs, beams, columns and footings and prestressed concrete beams.
- Design and detailing of connections in concrete structures.
Content covered in course CIVL2130 Theory of Structures 1.
Written Assignment: Design Assignments
Formal Examination: Formal Examination *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course. - A Criteria Fail shall be implemented for the Final Examination. Students are required to obtain at least 25 marks out of 50 in the final examination in order to pass the course irrespective of their performance in other assessment items.
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Lecture: 2 x 2 hrs p/week for full term.