Advanced Chinese with Translation
The course offers a sequel to CHIN3201. Emphasis is on the further development of writing skills in Modern Standard Chinese (MSG). It also equips students with the basic techniques of translation.
Not currently available.
1. To expand Chinese vocabulary
2. The ability to write texts with appropriate vocabulary, punctuation and grammatical structures.
3. To introduce students to basic techniques of translation between Chinese and English
4. To appreciate linguistic and cultural differences in the English-Chinese language pair through an examination of the basic translation process
5. be able to translate simple sentence dialogues,
6. be able to translate and write different forms of comtemporary literature texts (Letters, email, resumes, compositions, etc.)
An advanced course that aims to equip the students with higher level written skills and the basic techniques of translation using a variety of materials such as situational dialogues, newspaper articles, broadcasts, etc. Techniques for analysing and rendering texts of different styles and degrees of complexity will also be examined.
CHIN3101 and CHIN3201 or equivalent.
Written Assignment: Two translation tasks into Chinese
Written Assignment: Four written assignments