Comprises a comprehensive language course for students with little or no previous knowledge of the language. It is designed to give beginners a basic level of communicative competence in Modern Standard Chinese (MSC - also known as Mandarin or Putonghua) and a brief introduction to Chinese language and civilisation integrated into instruction in the language. It builds on CHIN1110.
Availability2017 Course Timetables2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. demonstrate a firm pronunciation basis in MSC;
2. demonstrate knowledge of the radicals and formations of Chinese characters;
3. demonstrate knowledge of a range of basic structures of the language
4. demonstrate ability to use approximately 200 high frequency Chinese characters and associated compounds in their simplified forms and to use these characters in simple guided sentences;
5. demonstrate ability to use simple grammatical structures and vocabulary learned in simple conversations;
6. demonstrate an understanding of the broad cultural traditions of China and its people and some knowledge of Chinese history and way of life.
Comprises a comprehensive language course designed to give beginners a basic level of communicative competence in Modern Standard Chinese. This includes a firm pronunciation basis in MSC, a knowledge of a range of basic structures of the language and the ability to use approximately 200 high frequency Chinese characters and associated compounds in their simplified forms. It builds on CHIN1110.
CHIN1110 Students who are already competent or native speakers of this language are encouraged to undertake 2000 level courses for a more engaged learning experience.
Written Assignment: 2 x take-home assignments
Quiz: Listening Quiz
In Term Test: 2 x Written tests
Quiz: Speaking Quiz
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self-Directed 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
1 hour of self-directed private study of Chinese characters.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorials will commence in week 2.