Coal and Mineral Processing
Ores and minerals: types, occurrence and distribution; basic geological and mining concepts. Overview of separation processes. Profile of mineral processing in Australia. Grade and Recovery: Two-product Formulae. Concept of Mineral Liberation. Characterization of particles. Size distributions. Size reduction: Crushing and Grinding. Separation of particles by size: Screening; Classification: Hydrocyclones. Particle separation based on mineral properties: Gravity Separation, Dense Media Separation; Magnetic and Electrostatic Separation; separation based on mineral surface properties: Froth Flotation. Chemistry of flotation: activators, depressants, collectors, frothers. Flotation equipment. Dewatering of mineral slurries: Thickening, Filtration, Centrifuges. Tailings disposal. Environmental and safety issues. Examples of Plant layout and Circuit design.
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Explain the purpose of coal and mineral processing and their importance to the Australian economy.
2. Explain the rationale behind the layout of coal and mineral processing operations, including the key differences between the two and the reasons for these differences.
3. Explain, compare and model the different methods used to classify particles according to their size.
4. Explain,compare and model the various commonly-used methods to beneficiate (separate) coal and minerals from less valuable gangue material, including density, electrostatic, magnetic, optical and surface-chemistry based approaches.
5. Explain and apply the concepts of yield-ash, grade-recovery and partition curves to predict the performance of different classification and density separation devices.
6. Perform basic simulations of coal and mineral processing circuits.
- Profile of coal and mineral processing in Australia including their economic importance.
- Ore and minerals: types, occurrence and distribution; basic geological and mining concepts.
- Grade and Recovery: Concept of Mineral Liberation.
- Size reduction (comminution): Crushing and Grinding.
- Characterization of particles and their size distributions.
- Separation of particles by size (classification): Screening, hydrocyclones.
- Particle separation based on mineral properties: Gravity separation; Magnetic and electrostatic separation; Separation based on surface properties, inc. chemistry of flotation (collectors, frothers, modifiers).
- Two-product formulae for predicting recoveries based on assay measurements.
- Dewatering of mineral slurries: Thickening, filtration, centrifuges.
- Tailings disposal: Environmental and safety issues.
- Plant circuit layout, design and simulation.
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
In Term Test: Class Exam
Written Assignment: Assignment 3
Written Assignment: Assignment 4
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Face to Face Off Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks