A 10-week placement in a practicing biotechnology environment in the Private, Public or University sector is the centrepiece of this course. Students are required to report on the context of the placement in the biotechnology industry as well as their workplace activities. A full appreciation of the organisation is required as well as an appreciation of how the student's activities relate to the organisation's objectives. At the end of the placement a final report and seminar are required. Placements will be organised in such areas as vaccine, biomolecular, plant, molecular genetics, reproductive, biomedical and veterinary based biotechnologies.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2017.
This course replaces the following course(s): BIOL3250. Students who have successfully completed BIOL3250 are not eligible to enrol in BTEC3250.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. An understanding of the practice of Biotechnology in the Private, Public or University sector.
2. Observational, analytical, communication and reporting skills.
3. An increased breadth of Biotechnological-related knowledge.
4. An understanding of the relationships between Biotechnology and society.
5. An understanding of the array of skills required and opportunities in Biotechnology.
6. An understanding of research and development and business interactions in Biotechnology.
Placement in a biotechnology environment in the Private, Public or University sector.
Preparation of placement goals
Preparation of placement report
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Biotechnology program.
Students doing this course should have completed all other courses in the Biotechnology degree program i.e. 220 units.
Proposal / Plan: Placement Outline Assessment
Report: Placement Report
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Field Study: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions. - In order to participate in this course students must complete a compulsory Workplace Health and Safety Induction or Risk Assessment.