Deals with the business and professional context within which architecture is practiced. Students will be introduced to the principles of business management including business ethics, organisational theory and behaviour as they relate to architectural practice, and the variety of opportunities and uncertainties faced by the practicing architect. The course will also address the structure of the architectural profession, employment opportunities, business planning for an architectural practice, and management of the design process in an architectural office.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2021
- Semester 2 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Establish a resource management strategy to deliver a multi-million dollar project.
2. Develop people management and leadership skills to facilitate the delivery of a project.
3. Prepare a procurement strategy for a project.
4. Prepare a quality and risk management plan.
5. Prepare a business and marketing strategy for an architectural practice.
6. Prepare a project handover and evaluation plan.
7. Present written, verbal and visual concepts and ideas.
Topic 1: Introduction to Architectural Practice
Topic 2a: Resource Establishment and Management - Team Structures and Skills
Topic 2b: Resource Establishment and Management - Managing Teams
Topic 2c: Resource Establishment and Management - Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
Topic 3a: Project Procurement - Consultants
Topic 3b: Project Procurement - Contractor
Topic 4: Quality and Risk Management
Topic 5 Business Planning and Marketing
Topic 6: Project Handover and Evaluation
Topic 7: Presentation Skills
Bachelor of Design (Architecture) or equivalent
Report: Project Design Report (Implementation)
Report: Project Design Report (Closure)
Callaghan and Online
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Distance education students will complete all components online
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.